We take our obligations under the Privacy Act 2020 (Privacy Act), and the information privacy principles in the Privacy Act, seriously. This privacy statement has been prepared in accordance with our obligations and your rights under the Privacy Act.
Last updated June 2023.
We need to collect personal information for a number of reasons, however, this will only be necessary for a function or activity of the council. The Sites can be viewed, and web feeds can be subscribed to without the need to disclose any personal information to us.
The personal date we may collect includes your:
- Name, contact details, date of birth, flight and booking details, passport details, driver licence number, credit card details;
- Location and movements in public areas of the airport and its close surroundings (via CCTV footage);
- Vehicle licence plate number;
- Conversations with our staff, agents or other persons, which may be recorded
- Email communications, and your written and verbal interactions with us or our agents;
- Number of visits to the airport;
- Image (via photograph, CCTV or film) as your moved around our property;
- Travel destination or preferred destinations;
- Use of our social media platforms; and
- Preferences concerning types of products or services.
We may also collect any other information provided by you in connection with, or specifically related to, your communications with us or how you interact with us.
Data collected when you use our websites and apps
When you visit or use our websites or apps, we collect data (including the IP address, IMEI and phone number of your machine or device, the operating system and the browser your machine or device uses, your browser's general wifi location, the date and time you are visiting and the pages you view and your preferred travel destinations).
Data regarding your usage of our websites and our apps is collected to help us improve and offer the services you need each time you visit and to improve our services generally. We may also use this data to improve our advertising and marketing of related products and services.
We (and any authorised third parties) may also collect personal data:
- by recording conversations you have with our staff, agents or others persons on our property;
- though the recording of your image on CCTV footage in and around our airport;
- when you submit an application for employment or contracting opportunities with us;
- when you subscribe to any Marlborough Airport newsletters, participate in surveys, competitions or promotions;
- by filming, or taking photographs, of you on or around our property (which may be used in our marketing materials);
- when you access any of our retail systems;
- when you log into our wifi; and
- where you have authorised this;
- a publicly available source;
- a government department, body, or law enforcement agency (in relation to security matters);
- an airline or retail outlet;
- a service provider; or
- third party providers of cookies and other online tracking systems.
We must have a legal basis to process your personal data. In most cases, the legal basis will be one of the following:
- to allow us to take actions that are necessary in order to assist or provide you with a product / service / issue (eg performance of a contract), for example, to make and receive payments or help you solve an issue you have;
- where we have your consent to do so;
- to meet our legitimate interests where these are not overridden by your rights, for example to understand how customers are using our facilities and services or to develop new services, as well as improve the services we currently provide;
- to allow us to comply with our legal obligations, for example obtaining proof of identity to enable us to meet our anti-money laundering and countering financing terrorism obligations; or
- in the case of special categories of personal data, that it is in the substantial public interest.
- for safety and security purposes;
- for operational purposes;
- to process your transactions and administer your account;
- to help us develop, market, improve, manage, administer and facilitate our services and operations and those of our business partners;
- for internal purposes (such as risk management, staff training and billing);
- as part of the investigation and analysis of incidents;
- to contract with authorised individuals;
- for us or our commercial partners to notify you of services, special offers, opportunities, products or benefits which are being offered by Marlborough Airport or any of our commercial partners or associated organisations;
- for security purposes and to improve our, or our commercial partners', services by using monitoring and tracking technologies in relation to our online services and properties; or
- to conduct market research and to promote and market our, or our commercial partners', products and services.
Some uses of your personal data may involve the transfer of that data outside New Zealand, to be held and used by our related companies and commercial partners.
When you visit one of our websites, we may use technology solutions such as “cookies” to provide you with better access to tailored information and services and to better serve you when you return to them.
We may collect, hold, and use statistical information about your visits and in connection with your IP address to help us improve our website, for instance:
- The search terms you used
- The pages accessed and the links you clicked
- The date and time you visited the site
- The referring website (if any) through which you clicked through to our website
- Your operating system (eg Windows XP, Mac OS X)
- The type of web browser you use (eg Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox)
- the make and model number of mobile device used to visit our site
We use Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) in particular areas to monitor passenger and traffic movements and public places to help reduce crime and anti-social behaviour and to promote safety.
Signage advising of CCTV equipment will give notice of areas covered by such equipment. CCTV footage will only be viewed by authorised people in accordance with the purpose noted above or to regularly check the system is operational. No attempt is made to identify individuals from CCTV footage except in relation to a reported or suspected incident requiring investigation.
Marlborough Airport permits access to our CCTV recordings in very limited circumstances and only related to the purposes for which the recordings are collected or otherwise in compliance with the Privacy Act 2020. If you believe you need to access recordings from our CCTV cameras, you'll need to follow the 'release of recordings' process. Please note that recordings are only stored for 28 days.
The personal information we collect from you, or someone acting on your behalf, may be used for any of the following purposes:
- to provide you with services or facilities, including:
- those you have requested; and
- assisting our CCOs to provide such services or facilities to you
- to positively confirm your identity. This is to avoid inappropriate release or use of your information
- to respond to correspondence or to provide you with information that you have requested
- to process your application for any consent, licence, registration, approval, permit or other authorisation for which you have applied
- to process your application to use or to register for any of our services or facilities, including our online services
- to process payments received by or made by council
- to respond to your requests, enquiries or feedback, or for customer care related activities
- to provide you with information about our events, news, services or facilities, or the events, news, services or facilities of our CCOs that we consider may be of interest to you
- to comply with relevant laws and regulations
- to carry out activities connected with the running of our business or operations such as personnel training or testing and maintenance of computer and other systems
- for any specific purpose which we notify you of at the time your personal information is collected
- to carry out surveys to improve our business processes and operations, based upon your feedback
- for general administrative and business purposes.
- to provide you with services or facilities, including:
Information will only be shared with your consent, or where there is statutory requirement to share it.
Personal data held by Marlborough Airport will be accessible by Marlborough Airport staff or advisors where it is necessary for that staff member or advisor to carry out their duties.
We may also use payment services provided by third parties as necessary to provide you with our products and services.
We will not disclose your personal data to other people or agencies except where:
- you have authorised such disclosure;
- disclosure is required by or to our contractors or business partners (for the purposes of the products / services they provide), so that we can assist you with a transaction on your behalf or provide you with a product / service that you have requested;
- disclosure is to a law enforcement agency that is entitled to such information under its statutory powers;
- we are required to provide the information by law;
- disclosure is required for safety and security or data assurance purposes;
- disclosure was the purpose of collecting the data;
- disclosure is necessary following a transfer of our rights and duties;
- disclosure is necessary to market, review or improve our services, operations or facilities or those of our business partners;
- disclosure is necessary for third parties to offer you products and services that may be of interest to you and to optimise the advertisements on our websites; or
- it is necessary for a function of Marlborough Airport, such as for operational, legal or auditing purposes.
We may share your personal data with the following organisations in a manner consistent with the use and disclosure purposes listed above:
- our contractors (for the purposes of the services they provide);
- law enforcement agencies;
- our authorised business partners and related third parties;
- those entities involved in providing, managing or administering your product or service;
- organisations we sponsor and loyalty program partners, including organisations that we have an arrangement with to jointly offer products;
- service providers that maintain, review and develop our business systems, procedures and technology infrastructure, including testing or upgrading our computer systems;
- payment system organisations;
- organisations that assist with our product planning, analytics, research and development;
- organisations involved in a transfer of our assets or business;
- mailing houses and media organisations who assist us to communicate with you, including media or social networking sites; or
- other organisations involved in our normal business practices, including our agents and contractors, as well as our accountants, auditors, lawyers or other external advisors.
If your personal data is transferred to a third party in a non-approved country, we will ensure that suitable safeguards are put in place to ensure your personal information and rights are protected.
Marlborough Airport implements and maintains security measures that are designed to provide reasonable protection against the loss, interference or misuse of your personal data and to prevent unauthorised access, modification or disclosure of your personal data.
Communications over the internet, such as emails or data transmissions, are not secure, unless they have been encrypted. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, Marlborough Airport cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us via email or customer response form. Once we receive your transmission, we make our best effort to ensure its security on our systems. We may allow third parties to monitor our network for security and data assurance purposes.
We are only permitted to store your personal information for as long as necessary having regard to the purposes for which it was collected or a related or ancillary purpose. We may delete your personal information after a reasonable period of time and, if you have not used our services for some time, you may have to re-enter, or re-supply, your personal information to us. At times, we may need to retain your information for a longer period where we need the information to comply with regulatory or legal requirements or where we may need it for our legitimate purposes. If we do not need to retain information for this period of time, we may destroy, delete or anonymise it more promptly.
You can choose not to give us your personal data. However, if you do not provide your information to us, we may not be able to:
- provide you with the product or service you want;
- respond to your requests;
- manage or administer your product or service;
- personalise your experience with us; or
- verify your identity or protect against fraud.
You have the right to know what information we hold about you, to request a copy and to request that we correct your information if inaccurate. Your rights of access to and correction of any personal information we hold about you are subject to the procedures set out in the Privacy Act.
- Accessing your information or obtaining a copy of your information:
You may request confirmation of whether or not we hold any personal information about you and you may request access to your personal information that we hold. If you request to access your information, we take steps to confirm your identity. This might involve asking you some security questions and checking your identity documents. Once we have verified your identity we will provide you with such confirmation and access unless one of the grounds for refusal to do so under the Privacy Act applies.
- Updating and correcting your information
If you think the information we hold about you is inaccurate, you may request changes to your personal information. If we agree that your personal information is to be corrected, we will provide you with an amended record of your personal information if requested. If we do not agree that the information needs to be corrected, we'll make note of your request on the disputed information as a "statement of correction".
You may request confirmation of whether or not we hold any personal information or if the information needs updating or correcting by contacting Marlborough Airport.
If you are unsatisfied with our response to any privacy-related concern you may have, you can contact the Privacy Commissioner:
Office of the Privacy Commissioner
PO Box 10-094
Wellington, New Zealand
Phone: 04 474 7590
Enquiries Line (from Auckland): 302 8655
Enquiries Line (from outside Auckland): 0800 803 909
Fax: 04 474 7595